“Beginning” isn’t just for beginners — it’s for anyone who wants a fresh start on making art. In this kourse, Danny talks about how to start a lifetime art habit. Koosje shows you the joys of taking risks. Travel to India and begin to see the sky anew with Prashant. Jane will turn your sketchbook into the start of a creative odyssey. Roz will show you how to look at animals with a fresh eye. And Tommy will get you started on finishing the richest drawing of your life. Are you ready for a great new beginning? Join us.
Klass begins June 10, 2016.
NOTE: $99 plus VAT for EU residents.
- Beginning 1.1- Danny Gregory: Sharing Our Stories
- Beginning 1.2 – Danny: On Creativity
- Beginning 1.3 – Danny: On Repression
- Beginning 1.4 – Danny: Sketchbook Tour #1
- Beginning 1.5 – Danny: Sketchbook Tour #2
- Beginning 1.6 – Danny: Draw and Feel — a Demonstration
- Beginning 1.7 – Danny: Homework Part 1 – Go Shopping
- Beginning 1.8 – Danny: Homework Part 2 – Draw and Feel
- Beginning 1.9 – Danny’s Gallery: Draw and Feel
- Beginning 1.10 – Danny Homework 3 – Document Your Week
- Beginning 1.11 – Danny’s Gallery: Your Week
- Beginning 1.12 – Danny: A Parting Gift.
- Beginning 1.13 – Danny: Questions & Answers
- Beginning 1.14 – Danny : How Was Your Week?
- Beginning 2.0 – Koosje Koene
- Beginning 2.1- Koosje: Meet Koosje
- Beginning 2.2 – Koosje: The Inner Critic
- Beginning 2.3 – Koosje: Let’s Head Outside
- Beginning 2.4 – Koosje: Outside Demo
- Beginning 2.5 – Koosje: Homework Part 1
- Beginning 2.6 – Koosje’s Gallery: Drawing Outside
- Beginning 2.7 – Koosje: Sketchbook Tour
- Beginning 2.8 – Koosje: My Color Pencils
- Beginning 2.9 – Koosje: Color Pencils Drawing Demo
- Beginning 2.10 – Koosje: Homework Part 2
- Beginning 2.11 – Koosje’s Gallery: Color Pencils
- Beginning 2.12 – Koosje: Parting Gift
- Beginning 2.13 – Koosje’s Questions & Answers
- Beginning 2.14 – How Was Your Week with Koosje?
- Beginning 3.0 – Prashant Miranda
- Beginning 3.1 – Prashant: On Sketchbook Keeping
- Beginning 3.2 – Prashant: Deep South, On Personal Histories
- Beginning 3.3 – Prashant: Watercolors
- Beginning 3.4 – Prashant: Homework
- Beginning 3.5 – Prashant’s Gallery: Skies
- Beginning 3.6 – Prashant: A Parting Gift
- Beginning 3.7 – Prashant: Another Parting Gift
- Beginning 3.8 – Prashant: Questions & Answers
- Beginning 3.9 – How Was Your Week with Prashant?
- Beginning 4.0 – Jane LaFazio
- Beginning 4.1 – Jane: Meet Jane
- Beginning 4.2 – Jane: Sketchbook Tour
- Beginning 4.3 – Jane: Demo at the Winery
- Beginning 4.4 – Jane: Inspired by My Sketchbook
- Beginning 4.5 – Jane: Pomegranate
- Beginning 4.6 – Jane: Assignment and Parting Gift
- Beginning 4.7 – Jane’s Gallery
- Beginning 4.8 – Jane: Questions & Answers
- Beginning 4.9 – How Was Your Week with Jane?
- Beginning 5.0 – Roz Stendahl
- Beginning 5.1 – Roz: Meet Roz
- Beginning 5.2 – Roz: Material Girl
- Beginning 5.3 – Roz: Sketching Field Trip
- Beginning 5.4 – Roz: Special Tools
- Beginning 5.5 – Roz: Homework Part 1
- Beginning 5.6 – Roz’s Gallery: Practice with Still Subjects
- Beginning 5.7 – Roz: Real-Time Live Animal Sketching Demo
- Beginning 5.8 – Roz: Homework Part 2
- Beginning 5.9 – Roz’s Gallery: Live Animal Sketches
- Beginning 5.10 – Roz: Additional Instructions
- Beginning 5.11 – Roz’s Parting Gift
- Beginning 5.12 – Roz’s Questions & Answers
- Beginning 5.13 – How Was Your Week With Roz?
- Beginning 6.0 – Tommy Kane
- Beginning 6.1 – Tommy: Permission to Steal
- Beginning 6.2 – Tommy: Slow Down
- Beginning 6.3 – Tommy: My Rule
- Beginning 6.4 – Tommy Kane Draws His Kitchen
- Beginning 6.5 – Tommy: Homework
- Beginning 6.6 – Tommy’s Gallery: Kitchen Drawings
- Beginning 6.7 – Tommy: Extra Video
- Beginning 6.8 – Tommy’s Parting Gift
- Beginning 6.9 – Tommy: One More Parting Gift
- Beginning 6.10 – Tommy’s Questions & Answers
- Beginning 6.11 – How Was Your Week With Tommy?
- Beginning 6.12 – Extra Special: Tommy Kane’s T-Shirt Design
Now, what would you like to begin?
Do you use color pencils? What kind do you prefer?
What does your inner critic tell you? Have you been able to shut down, or shut up your inner critic? How did you manage to do that?
What is your relationship to making art?
Why are you worrying about other people's opinions, when we're talking about YOUR personal sketchbook? Have you ever actually had bad reactions on your work? How did you deal with it? More importantly: Have you ever had positive reactions on your work? Who gave it to you and how did you feel about it?
What did you draw outside?
Share your results here.
Why do you keep a sketchbook? Who are the people who inspired you to keep a sketchbook? What motivates you begin doodling?
Every person is an unique individual, do you have a story to tell? What is your story for today? Can you draw an image to capture the essence of today?
Can you apply these techniques when you do a portrait or a still life? Can you look at the sky right now, and tell me the gradation of colors that you see? Do you think these watercolor techniques can be applied to a miniature painting and in large scales?
What kind of things do you document in your sketchbook? Are there any special pages or books that are extra special to you?
How do you feel after this week's klass with Koosje?
Why are you here? What’s the story of your creativity, lost, frustrated or not fully formed? What do you want from making art? What’s been getting in your way? How far have you come, what’s blocking the road, and what lies on the other side?
What forms does your creativity take? The way you dress, the way you cook, the way you do your hair, the way you see the world… Give us details!
Share your art and comments here.
What book/pen did you get? Where? What considerations mattered to you most in making your choice? What did you do with them?
How have you stifled your creativity? Who’s responsible? What happened as a result? How did you feel?
Any thoughts, revelations, disagreements?
How was your week?
Share your interpretation of my demonstration here, a drawing of an object with meaning to you. Tell us a bit about it and how you feel too.
Let's see your skies!
How has another artist influenced your own work? Who are some of the artists who influence the work that you do and why?
Tell us how it went!
Post your live-animal sketches here!
What are some other ways to get out of your comfort zone while doing a drawing? What is the most amount of time you’ve ever spent on one drawing?
How did it feel to hang out with Jane in the winery and her studio?
How was your term in Beginning? Tell us about your experience!
Have you enjoyed this week with Tommy? Did you draw your kitchen yet?
What is a rule you can give yourself that would help improve your own skills? Are there difficult things you avoid doing when making a sketch in order to play it safe?
Let's see those kitchens!
What did you make?!
Have you enjoyed this week with Prash?
I like to start a blank page using a pencil, because I find it less stressful. Do you start with a pencil or a pen in your sketchbook? What do you think this says about your drawing habits?
What other materials, tools or composition styles do you use in your sketchbook?
I challenge you to do a “Yoga Pose in a Public Place” like I show you in the video. Take a photo or video and share with us here. You can do any kind of yoga or yoga-ish pose. It’s just for fun!
Do you find that you have themes in your work? Certain things you like to draw or document? What are they?
How did your still-life turn out?
Has any one in your family kept a journal? Have you seen any volumes of it? What did it mean to you? Did it inspire you to keep your own journal? Why? Tell us not what you believe a journal should contain, but what you hope your journal will contain.
What’s in your sketching kit today? Take your bag or back pack apart and examine each item. Let us know why you favor that particular brush or tool. Do you have a sentimentally favorite pen—what’s the story? What tools have you stopped using? Is it time to pare down what you’re carrying?
What's next for you? How will you keep your creative habit going and use what you learned in Beginning?